December 19, 2007

India's Reality Checks

India is a fascinating country and I'm still curious to see more, but something won't let me love it or miss it in the "I miss the Magic Kingdom" sense. I attribute this to it's harsh and repeated reality checks.
India has a weird way of "checking" me as soon as I start to feel comfortable or at home. One example of this came our last day at Palolem when we witnessed a classic Indian beat-down. It seemed to be a fight between the different boat-running groups. We were walking along the beach toward our hut and, seemingly without provocation, a melee broke out. Fists and feet were a flyin'. And all in the direction of a few who soon had their heads opened. Imagine the damage a cricket bat can do. And yet, just as quickly, it dissipated. Although I know this is the Indian way of dealing with certain conflicts (apparently, same goes for traffic accidents)...it just re-emphasizes the differences and reminds me that I do not belong here.

1 comments:

Lee said...

Clowd of locusts!