February 20, 2008

Ne Pas Déranger

We've just finished the third stop of our Polynesian pop tour and I think Trader Vic would be proud. We slurped Singapore Slings at the Raffles on Beach Road, we found our own Bali Hai in Sanur, and this week we put flowers behind our ears to the sound of a ukulele in Tahiti.
We're staying at Le Meridien in Punaauia (A-, friendly staff, bigass sand-bottom pool, beach front location) and we've finally been forced to spend a few days getting burnt on the beach. Its too expensive to do anything else. I feel guilty if we're not out getting dirty all day when we travel, but this place won't allow that. Its French and therefore ridiculously expensive.
So, we've spent our days applying sunscreen and our nights lobbing after-sun gel at each other. In the lagoon surrounding the island, Kiima and I used the hotel facilities to their fullest extent. We went snorkeling among the coral and spotted tons of brightly colored fishies (my first time, I was impressed) and we took kayaks out to the edge of the reef (now I understand the ending of Sea Wolf). I always guffaw when people warn about currents and the tide being a danger, but after struggling with the current to get back to our beach, I believe them. Another day, Kiima surprised me with her ping pong skillz and we earned our laziness by diving for shuttlecocks during pool badminton.
On Tuesday, we took the truck in to Papeete for the day. Again, we were struck by how French the place is. Shops closed for lunch and at around 5pm, everything is out-of-reach pricey, everyone speaks the colonial tongue first, and the baguette rules midday. Alongside the usual deli cuts and cheeses, there were also chorizo, pork lo mein, spaghetti with meatballs, and burger with fries baguettes. We also got to try some Poisson Cru, a sort of ceviche made with coconut milk. It got thumbs up from the two of us. Also, the flower print is alive and well and living in Papeete. Everyone looks straight from the beach in board shorts and flip flops. Every third girl has a flower behind her right ear.
Since we're staying at a crazy expensive hotel, we don't dare eat there. Instead, we walk down to the grocery store and get emmentaler and crackers, pastries, and more baguette sandwiches. Also, since we're sleeping beyond our budget, I had to make ridiculous requests to room service: I want fresh plates and silverware daily for our illicit dinners, I need five pillows, I forgot to bring my mouthwash and nail kit so I'll need a replacement, we need three more towels, Do you have an electrical adapter, and can you send up maintenance 'cause that lightbulb in the corner needs fixing. This is my first time speaking any French without giggling (Bain de bouche s'il vous plaît). When have I ever said Merci and it meant something?
I had planned on getting a tattoo here, but the price, again, is too high. All of the hair cutteries advertised the coiffures pour homme at around 30USD. Since my last buzz, with shave, peaked at around 2.50USD, I had to pass on the ink. Also, there's no mai tai here, so we had a Hinano instead.
One upside to all of this expense though is the perks that come with it. Because we bought a Round-The-World ticket, some of the more obscure routes that we fly are covered by pricey and heavily subsized airlines. We flew Air Tahiti Nui from Sydney to Papeete, one of the most luxe airlines I've ever ridden. To take full advantage of this temporary status, we ate and drank exceptionally well (check out the evening's menu below). Something tells me they may have had to restock on gin after we landed.
Tonight, we fly to Easter Island on LAN (slightly less glamorous). All of that Thor Heyerdahl I read should come in handy.





9 comments:

lisa said...

Can't wait to see pictures!!!! It sounds fabulous. Kiima playing ping pong, that's something I've got to see.

Ernie & Jean said...

Where's the pictures of paradise?

Kiima said...

Yeah, sorry about the photos. We keep trying to upload them with no luck. What can I say...we´re in Internet no-mans-land.

Lee said...

Photos are now up.

Kiima said...

I should also admit that Tahiti was the first place I started to miss home and family. Luckily, I can blame Linnea for this since it was her call that sparked it.

Ernie & Jean said...

The huts in the water are a vacation dream of mine. Are they really that good? Any idea of cost? Would you recommend?

lisa said...

looks amazing. how long will you be there?

Kiima said...

We were in Tahiti for 5 nights. We had wanted to go to the nearby island Moorea, but decided against it because of time and money.

Patrick said...

Hey hey hey, the future bride should be allowed to call her bridesmaid sister anytime she wants!!! It's not my fault you happen to be having the trip of a lifetime and seeing the entire world while I'm planning my wedding.
Hope you guys are having a blast.
FYI. I ran into Alice at the Expo center, so I forwarded her your address and blog. Can you believe Britney is all grown up?