April 14, 2008

When I Grow Up, I Want To Be An Astronaut


We´ve been in Buenos Aires for just a bit over a week and every day I´m reminded, this is a big big city. And not just the same city repeated over a large area, but every time we get out at a subte stop, it´s a different place entirely. Here´re a couple of other things that we´ve noticed about the BsAs:
  • There´s dog poo everywhere. Nobody picks up after the pooches.
  • Some mornings, there´s a strong soot/pollution smell.
  • This town wears it´s Italian roots proudly. The spanish sounds Italian, pasta shops abound, and pizza´s pretty darn popular.
  • Wednesday is lab-coat day for school-bound children. Thursday may be sports day, but not sure on that one yet.
  • You put your trash bags out on the street every night.
  • Plastic and glass bottles are valuable. People pick through your trash for empties and glass bottles cost extra when buying beer.
  • Gelato places are everywhere, they´re open late and they deliver.
  • After 9-ish, if you want to buy something, you´ll do it through a metal gate.
  • Advertising is inventively located. Above street signs, back of metro cards, back of spanish language institute flier.
  • The Subte has cool tile murals.
  • There are big, funky, old Keys. The kind Mary Poppins would use, if she used keys.
  • Pago Facil is a really popular place to be.
  • Women WORK it here. Kiima wants new clothes.
  • There are no limes.
  • There is no cilantro.
  • Apartments have bidets.
  • The subte during rush hour is the most crowded mass transit I´ve been on. Like a Megadeth concert.
  • Walking down the street you will get knocked over. Its not that they don´t see you, you´re just not there. This is different than the "You´re not there" feeling in Asia which is more like "I actually do not see that you are in my way."
  • People are colder than in Peru and Chile.
  • Speaking spanish here is a club. And you´re not invited. Really.
  • Porteños love crackers (check the pics).
  • This is a walking city and there´s life on the street. I am digging it! We may have to come back for more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see that you are both still having a good time. My brother is heading there on holiday in June. I'll have to tell him to take a look at your site. Kiima, I completely get the clothes thing. It's exactly how I felt when I got to BKK!

Ernie & Jean said...

Lee & Kiima
I feel like I am getting quite a tour of the world just from looking at your pictures and reading your blog. I find it amazing how much I am learning from your adventures.
Love
Dad

Kiima said...

Yeah, I definitely NEED to get some cool clothes. But it seems like the sizes are much smaller here. Same in BKK, right?

Anonymous said...

Do not be afraid of XXL..;-)

Lee said...

hey, big people need love too.