November 27, 2007

Jesus Is My Goalkeeper

The first six hours in this town were overwhelming. I could make it around alright, but it was mostly in blank stare, look straight ahead, just keep walking mode. I don't understand it and I'm actually a bit embarrassed. I mean, I have done the Magic Kingdom on the 4th of July. Anyway, things got much better very quickly. It feels like we've been here a week.
On Monday we touched down at Indira Gandhi Intl. Airport very early and taxi'd to our hostel. It was foggy and we were dodging cows down the street of the main bazaar. To get to our place, turn at the dude frying up chicken quarters, walk past the open urinal on your left, past the dude selling fried potato thingies, and turn right at the dead end. Good times, good times. Anyway, later that day, we mainly hung out in the bazaar area. We got some naan, bought Kiima a tunic and scarf, saw a bull steal potatoes from a cart, picked up snacks in the vegetable stalls area, and slurped lemon tea and chai together in a cafe.
Today, we hired a taxi for the day and motored around to a few big sights. In Old Delhi, we saw
the Jama Masjid, the biggest mosque in India. I particularly enjoyed the company of the tourist groups wearing trash bags on their feet, techie-looking pants and safari hats. Later, we explored the grounds of the Red Fort before visiting a big Baha'i temple. After this, we took loads of photos at the India gate and returned home for a dinner of palak paneer (Lee) and vegetable dosa (Kiima). Now, more bazaar browsing and tea.

Kiima Thoughts:
This place is fascinating! Check out my lists of firsts:

1. Squat Toilet.
I used my first squat toilet "properly" today at the Baha'i temple. They have really nice bathrooms, so I thought I would test it out there first...went surprisingly well. They even had an auto-flusher on a squat toilet!

2. Walked Barefoot in Delhi. This is definitely NOT something I planned on doing, but turned out to be OK (certain religious locations require it: Mosque and Baha'i Temple). At first, I tried to dodge all the bird poo, but I quickly gave up the losing battle. So, if I get some weird foot disease, we know why.

3. Black Snot. Both Lee and I blew black snot all day today. Never have I appreciated my little nose hairs more. They must be doing their best trying to keep all the grime out. I can suddenly understand why everybody here constantly picks their nose, clears their throats and spits.
4. Calm Submissive Wife. Being the calm submissive wife, surprisingly, hasn't been too hard for me. I've tried to haggle a couple times in Lee's presence and they just look to him, almost as if they didn't hear me. But it's OK, because I also don't get hassled or harassed because I'm with Lee. So, a bit of a fair trade off. (So proud of Lee today, cause he stuck to his ground with our "driver" when he tried to coerce us to go to 2 of his shops. The guy got all upset. But, as they say "Every house needs a strong master".)

5. Talking in Rhythm. I've already noticed myself talking in the Indian rhythm...very interesting. We're also doing a bit of the head wobble.



5 comments:

lisa said...

The pictures of India are beautiful (someone has a great eye). I can't wait to see more. Jeremy Piven, eat your heart out....

Anonymous said...

We enjoy your messages and he fresh and candid opinions.
Yesterday Judy organized and I helped a little with a surprise 90th Birthday Party for her Mother, Harriet Hussey Imlay. Judy's daughter, Laura, and 1 year old granddaughter, Ella, flew down from Detroit, Michigan for it and stayed with us. Most of their family was there but her Brother's wife was recovering from surgery so he could not attend. Her sister and husband and their four kids and one grandson were also there.
We arrived around noon and started bring food and drinks in and her 98 year old Father wondered what we were doing so we explained and both her Mother and Father asked the other grandkids if they knew about it and they said, "of course because we made contributions to the book." Her Mother asked me why we didn't tell her and I said because you would have said "No." I told her it was easier to ask forgiveness than for permission. Judy had put together a 90 page book with written memories and tributes from family and friends with old and new pictures, throughout their lives. In all about 15 of their friends came for an hour or so.
Judy and I went to a small resort in West Virginia for a couple of days.
Dinkumami & DD

Amri said...

Now that you feel better you should head to Old Delhi. That part of town scared the snot (black) out of me. Especially the train station.

Also, Kiima, I thought it was weird how few women were even out and about. And the men, who I assume are just friendly with each other, are ALL over each other. Touching, loving, feeling.

I got mugged in the market near the Red Fort.

Kiima said...

Dad,
Glad to hear the Birthday went well. I bet she really enjoyed the company.

Kiima said...

Lisa,
I have to admit that the pictures are all my husband. He gets very creative with them. Glad you enjoyed them.