December 08, 2007

Dos Gardenias Para Ti

On Tuesday we took the overnight Mewar Express from Bharatpur to Udaipur. It was our first sleeper train and it was awesome. All old trainy and full of little latches. Since we had a first class cabin, there were also bed linens and a hand towel. The bench seats fold down for nighttime and the whole train was already in this configuration when we climbed on. I think we slept better on this train than we had the previous several nights.
Udaipur has turned out to be the cold glass of water we'd been hoping for. After Agra and Bharatpur, this is a much more pleasant place to spend time. Indians think so too. Apparently, this is THE place for vacationing families and honeymooning couples from all over the area. Its easy to see why. Its a really old town filled with really old white and yellow houses situated around two lakes and in the shadow of mountains. The people are way friendlier and there's much less harassment on the street level. To me, Salzburg, Austria is the classic old Europe visitors come searching for. Similarly, Udaipur is the classic old India. They both have the old architecture as well as the tourist infrastructure. We are staying at Kankarwa Haveli (A+, clean, classy, cheap, a gem).
The 13th James Bond, Octopussy, was filmed here and every backpacker cafe advertises nightly showings at 7pm. We joined in and caught one of the showings at a rooftop cafe overlooking the city while sharing chinese and tea. Very romantic. The next few days we visited the spots highlighted in the movie and many others not picturesque enough to make it. We saw the ridiculously large city palace where the local royalty still lives, we passed macaques on the way up to the monsoon palace, we visited a hindu temple that was all abuzz, we strolled through the island Nehru park, and we shopped our way through the town itself. Kiima bought three shirts here.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kiima - I love the shirt buying! You make all of us girls very proud. Lee - Good work keeping up with the Disney-esque pictures! Some of the places actually look real. And I would loved to have heard you attempting to barter for tampons!

Anonymous said...

Linchen made a nice dinner and we had a fun 2nd Advent yesterday in Ashburn. We enjoy your comments and hope you stay safe.

Lee said...

You know, I couldn't figure out how they made the animatronic elephant so life-like. Incredible imagineering!

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!! Thanks from Jason for the Birthday greetings. Glad to see that you found the "Polynesian Resort" of India!

Be Safe, Wendy and Jason

Anonymous said...

Kiima--had to tell you that Amazon has purchased at auction J.K. Rowling's handwritten and illustrated book The Tales of Beedle the Bard. They will be posting reviews of the five tales on their website. From one fan to another...Steff

Kiima said...

Thanks for the update Steff! Definitely something I will have look into when I get back.

Ernie & Jean said...

Lee & Kiima
Be safe please. We love you and are still really enjoying your blog.
Miss Ya and Love Ya!!!
Mom & Dad

Ernie & Jean said...

Lee & Kiima,
Sounds Fab!! We have been busying ourselves with school and getting ready for Christmas. We miss you and I have to remind myself not to put something extra in my shopping cart for you two. We will just have to save all those goodies for next year. I held the Winter Wonderland Fashion Show last night and it was great. Glad to have it over, though. Now I can get ready for the holidays. Look forward to reading more about your adventures.
Love,
Mom

Lee said...

Hey Mom and Dad,
Glad to hear the fashion show went well. I trust that it wasn't so scandalous as last time. We will miss hanging out with you guys over the next few days. I'll try to call Christmas morning from Bangkok.
Lee