December 06, 2007

What's That Thing On Your Lip?

A few tidbits I've picked up...
  • Laundry. From what I know, there are only 2 ways to do laundry in India; 1 is a dry-cleaner (only available in big cities) and 2. is a Dhobi who washes, beats and dries them at a ghat (stairs into the local lake, river, etc...) and them sends them to an ironing place. Lee and I just got our first load done and his t-shirts came back ironed.
  • Body Wash is rare. Apparently not popular in India.
  • Tampons are rare. Imagine Lee and I trying to describe tampons to non-english-speaking male shopkeepers. It was adventure! We eventually found some, but apparently India only carries OB.
  • Purell. Also hard to find, but definitely needed in India! Lee and I use this stuff daily, especially since we eat with our hands here.
  • Groups of young girls love us. Regardless of age, they tend to giggle as they circle us and saying Hi only makes them giggle more.
  • Primarily male drivers. Lee and I have only seen a couple women drivers in India, and they were on Mopeds...not cars.
  • Train tracks are for garbage. Lee and I were blown away as we watched people just throw their bags of trash on the train tracks on Bharatpur. One can only wonder why the trains derail...
  • Upper class waiting rooms at train stations. I have to admit that we did enjoy this, but I'm not really sure what the qualifications are or why people naturally just stay out of those rooms.
  • Animals know their place. Animals here, cows, bulls, boars, dogs all naturally move out of the way of people and automotives. It's interesting to watch.
  • Just ask for hot water. If you're not getting hot water in your room and you're supposed to have it, just go down to the desk and ask for it. They'll invariably go to some control box and switch to turn it on. Wonder why it was turned off in the first place....
  • Power Outages are common. They happen almost everyday. Some hotels have generators, some don't. But thanks to the book Holy Cow, Lee and I weren't at all surprised when we experienced our first outage in Delhi.
  • People work hard here. NOT! Well, I'm sure some do. But Lee and I have seen numerous guards, police, etc... playing cards or sleeping on duty.
  • Indian Men Sing. Indian men really do just break out in song randomly. It's happened to us twice now; 1. in a museum room and 2. in our train cabin. Both of which we really enjoyed. In fact, in the museum Lee sang back "Under the Boardwalk." It was oddly humorous, because we were in this cavernous hamam (Persian bath). The guy just stared back. It was a moment I will never forget!

0 comments: