December 01, 2007

Into The Fog

I am sick! I knew this was likely to happen in India, but Holy Cow! I haven't had it this bad in a while. (TMI: I wasn't able to keep ANYTHING down for >24 hours...it was coming from both ends. This would normally be the time my Mother would show up with a butt-bullet.) I'm only able to post now, because I feel better...not 100%...but better. But of course, now that my stomach is better, Lee and I have head-colds. Grrrr!

Through all this, I did manage to get the morning Bhopal Shatabdi Express train to Agra (Taj Mahal), a 2.5 hr journey, on Friday. I wasn't sure I would make it, but I did. Thanks to my awesome travel buddy: Lee. My stomach was primarily empty by that time so all I had to do was not put anything in it. Regardless, I spent most of the time in the train bathroom.

Once in Agra, we had only planned to stay 2 nights and move on, as advised by many a guidebook, but we spent today resting instead. I really needed it...especially since today is the first day I have successfully eaten anything since Thursday. We're staying at Hotel Sheela (B+, very tidy and green with lots of birds), a budget hotel within a block of the Taj Mahal east gate. It's a cute little oasis in the pollution free zone surrounding the Taj Mahal. It sports a ridiculously-well behaved pair of dogs. The little one likes to hump the German Shepherd's ear.

Today, they closed the Taj Mahal and the whole market near the east entrance for a "VIP", which we think was the president or prime minister of Portugal. The police were everywhere carrying big sticks shooing people away. It was an interesting sight to see. Tomorrow, we plan to see the Taj Mahal ourselves....should be fun!

0 comments: