I brought my 5GB mp3 player along for the ride. It is a valuable piece of equipment. It currently holds 48 albums (526 tracks). With the right planning, that's just barely enough to get me through. It is also most definitely so small that it's a headache when it comes down to making cuts. Space is limited, so do I bring the classic albums or go with new ones? Do I go blues and jazz heavy or more indie rock? Difficult decisions. In the end, I chose classic people but tried to season it with the more offbeat portions of their catalogs. Here's a rundown of my recent playlist.
- Bob Dylan "The Bootleg Series 1-3." Every time I go for a long trip, I bring him along. He doesn't get as much attention when I'm in the states, but, when I'm away, it all becomes new. Bob Dylan is America.
- The Black Keys "Magic Potion" and "Rubber Factory." I was chatting with Jimmy Page last night and I asked him if he'd had his pooper kicked lately. He replying "No," I said, "Well then, meet the Black Keys." He promptly thanked me for the lesson and then I woke up. Mark, I'm sorry for ever disparaging their live show. It's now at the top of my wish list.
- Led Zeppelin "BBC Sessions 1 and 2." They didn't release many live recordings, supposedly because Jimmy Page was such a perfectionist. This album does nothing but perpetuate my affection. Maybe you're too cool to be into Zeppelin. I'm not.
- Lee Morgan "The Sidewinder." The title track is a bit pop, but the album as a whole is awesome.
- The Strokes "Is This It," "Room On Fire," and "First Impressions Of Earth." All three albums endow the listener with a certain attitude. Its that stick of Big Red I need as a social crutch. My feelings are more important than yours.
- Art Brut "Bang Bang Rock and Roll" and "It's A Bit Complicated." Infinitely quotable.
Don't tell your friends!
Don't tell your friends!
I promise, it won't
Ever happen again.
Leave the lights on!
Leave the lights on!
Leave the lights on for me.
0 comments:
Post a Comment