December 20, 2007

All Hot Girls Put Your Hands Up And Say, “Om Shanti Om”

We're in Mumbai now and it is surprisingly warm. I would guess low 90s and its still winter! I can only imagine how hot this city must be in the summer. Combined with standing water, no wonder the slums around the airports are considered malaria black spots (Don't worry Mom, we'll make sure to lather up with DEET before we head to the airport for Bangkok on Friday).
To get here, we took the Mandovi Express from Goa straight into the heart of the city. Lee had been anxious to get a bunch of train rides in when we were planning things a few months ago and we're both very glad to have acted on it. This was our third train trip in India (1 in first class, 2 in second class) and we loved it! It was also our first daytime leg. This allowed us, finally, to experience the full gamut of Indian eats available on the rails. And what a rolling smorgasbord it was. We had cucumber and tomato sandwiches, bananas, samosas, and veg and chicken biryanis. There are also roaming desert, fruit, chai, coffee, and cold drink people. Once again, we were provided with linens and pillows and, this time, we also got our own pre-packaged soaps. Choice! In second class, two people share a nearly six foot long bench, way more comfy than plane travel. If we got tired, then we just put the backrest down, converting the cabin to sleep mode, and we each have our own beds (one on the lower bunk, one on the upper bunk).
Mumbai is a fairly progressive and happening city. Here's where all the big Bollywood movies are made and all the big Cricket stars are from. Lee and I have enjoyed this place, always bustling, tons of taxis, art galleries (not that we went in them, nerds!) and no Starbucks. The only big chain is McDonald's. At first we considered taking a bus tour around to get our bearings, but we weren't impressed with any of them. Instead, we headed out on foot and, to our delight, we discovered the closeness of everything. It's like Manhattan in that everything is packed into a fairly walkable peninsula.
We're staying at the Empire Royale Hotel (A-, good location, clean and modern, a bit "Being John Malkovich" though). It's across from Victoria Terminus, the largest and most classic of the British-built train stations. Living near a large landmark has been great for late-night taxis.
This is the first place in India where we've seen all things Christmas. Fake trees, shiny decorations, Christmas balls and even the occasional Christmas carol. It's been a nice reminder of what's coming. Oh, and before I forget, this is also the first place we've seen cats. I think we've sighted 4 so far in total. It seems that every other place in India is dominated by street dogs. Makes me wonder.
Two nights ago, Lee and I finally got to see the biggest Bollywood blockbuster of late: Om Shanti Om, starring Shar Rukh Khan (Oh! My! Gosh!) It was so long that there had to be an intermission half way through. We enjoyed samosas, fries, and fountain sodas without ice in our pricey premium assigned seats (240 Rs.). They played the national anthem before the movie and the volume scared me a bit. But we're glad we finally saw this one since it is EVERYWHERE! Check out my picture with the dreamy Shar Rukh Khan!
Today, I was nearly assaulted by a monkey. An unhappy growling monkey starting circling me on a path near the caves on Elephanta Island. I swear that thing was planning on jumping me. I started yelling for Lee when, luckily, one of the cave guards came to my rescue. I can now understand why the sign said "Beaware of monkeys." The whole incident made me feel like a child again, with my deathly dog fears. Lee reminds me that my fear is totally rational (evidence 1, evidence 2).
Tonight, we plan to have one last tandoori meal and see some Indian classical music before we head to Thailand. Apparently where we're headed tonight is a very boardwalkish atmosphere. Should be fun.

Merry Christmas to all if we don't get to write before then!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Almost Christmas! It looks like you guys are having a blast, and the Empire Royale Hotel looks swank. For a religious experience in Bangkok, try a massage with about 50 other people at Wat Po Temple. I'd also recommend a minty foot massage - probably about $8.
Love, J&M

Kiima said...

Thanks Mel, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiima und Lee,
wir wünschen Euch schöne Weihnachten und noch eine tolle Reise. Es ist super, dass man Euch auf dieser Seite begleiten kann und immer aktuelle Fotos und Berichte bekommt.
Viele liebe Grüße,
Steffi mit Nico und Michael

lisa said...

I hope you have the best Christmas ever this year!!!!!

In case no one filled you in, ORES is the new door contest champion (however I did not participate, could there be something there...hmm).

Merry Christmas to you both and Happy New Year!!!

Kiima said...

Lisa,
Great to hear from you! Merry Christmas!
I can't believe Peter let CAO's championship go! So sad...
How's the wedding planning going? I know it can quickly get overwhelming.

Kiima said...

Steffi,
Is Nico feeling better now? What did you get him for Christmas?

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!