January 22, 2008

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

The Good

  • Realizing that we really CAN do this
  • Having fun
  • Experiencing new things (like shooting an AK47 in Cambodia, eating sticky rice out of a bamboo stick or sending our lucky lantern off into a tree on New Years)

The Bad

  • Having to be constantly aware of the budget
  • Getting sick
  • Not always having a nice shower, that drains well and produces HOT water
  • Squat Toilets with no toilet paper

The Ugly

  • Dirt (like open sewages, train track trash piles)
  • Being scammed and knowing it
  • Skin Tax
  • Terrorizing monkeys
  • No normal POOs
  • Insistent child beggars that play on your conscience

The Missed

  • Certain Toiletries (Lee buys a new deodorant every week to try and is never satisfied as they don't sell his brand here)
  • Rhapsody
  • American Breakfasts
  • Fast Internet

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you on country 6 now? I remember the first time I found American style bacon after many a month living in Holland. I think I had a BLT every day for week plus bacon for breakfast. I'm off to Singapore for a visa run. I highly recommend booking a place to stay WELL in advance as hotels are expensive and the Y and hostels get full. Ciao from Bangkok.

Kiima said...

Hey! How's Bangkok treating you?

Actually, we're on country 5, Malaysia will be country 6th. You're right about Singapore. We've actually spent more time than we expected researching and reserving a place in Singapore. Plus, they're all more expensive. But should be fun, especially since we're planning to be there over Chinese New Years. Let us know what you're experience is. Happy Travels!

Anonymous said...

Shooting AK-47s in Cambodia, eh?
Now that really is a Holiday in Cambodia!