July 13, 2008

112 Degrees And Rising

It only took 1 night and 1 day for me to like Saigon. Arriving at Honghan Guesthouse (A-, clean, good location and friendly staff) late Wednesday, I was almost shocked to find Saigon so awake and alive since most places close around 11pm in Vietnam...first star. The second star came that night as we walked around Bui Vien and found how integrated the local places and western places were. Some right next to each other, and welcoming both locals and gringos. The third star...friendly nice people. What a change from Hanoi.
We've spent the last 4 days exploring and eating our way through this busy sprawling city, happily jumping onto moto-taxis when tired. Let me think. We bargained our way through Benh Thanh Market, toured the iconic Reunification Palace, strolled along the posh Dong Koi Street, stocked up on toiletries in the fancy air conditioned malls, watched brides posing outside the Notre Dame Cathedral, and sent post cards from the striking General Post Office. The GPO is a cool place with its grand french colonial style building and its check-in desk at Port Orleans style counters.
I've also finally found the dish I've always identified as Vietnamese here, or at least what Minh's in Courthouse has been serving me. It's apparently a southern dish (And to think that I was starting to doubt Minh's authenticity). It's called Bún Thịt Nướng, and it consists of grilled pork over cold vermicelli noodles and greens. It comes with a unique delicately flavored sauce that you pour over. Delicious!
And yet as we prepare to leave today, I would be lying if I didn't admit I was glad. Yes, our time in the south has been good, but the north was definitely a struggle. All in all, I'm glad we stuck with it. I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on Saigon. Saigon, like New York, has an attitude of it's own. Seemingly accepting and offering something for everyone; from museums and fancy malls to shady parks, outdoor badminton courts and old-style markets. If it weren't in Vietnam, Saigon would definitely be on the could-live-here list.









7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where to next?

Anonymous said...

Lee and Kiima,
Everyone keeps asking, "Where are they now?". Saigon seems to have been a great place to visit. It has been really hot here, but I love that. Summer is going to be over before I want it to be and I am excited about completing lots of things. The food looks really interesting. Was it as good as it looked and did it agree with you. Amber and I and Dad are about to embark on the proverbial college hunt. It won't be exotic like your trips, but hopefully get her ready to go next fall. Clay is very excited about La Salle next month, so we are also getting him ready. You kids are always on the move!!.
Love you, Be safe,
Mom and Dad and Amber and Clay and everyone else

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the food. Glad you're liking it better. Can't say I envy the heat, thought. It's monsoon season in Vegas, but it just won' train. It hangs in the air. Luckily it hasn't been more than 105 when it's that humid. I can't imagine you you're surviving. Do they have AC over there?
We went and saw Space Chimps, the new movie, for Kai's early birthday present. He loved it. It's great if you don't go in with any expectations.
They both just returned to school after a 1 month Track Break.
Bryan started the eMBA and it is intense, just like everyone said. He studies approx 2-3 hours every night, but it's better than working late because at least he's home.
I go to girls camp next week, and then I"ll be able to relax.
The Tour lives on, despited the fact that a 2 time stage winner was booted for EPO. It's actually a very exciting year for the tour.
Have fun where ever you're off to next. :-)

Linnea said...

Pat and I are trying to find our groove. I started working in the Life Time Fitness Preview Center in Ashburn. It will open in October and we are giving pretty cool deals to get involved early. I am working 60 hours a week and that includes one weekend day, so it's been in tense. I am sorry we have been so MIA, but I had to spend 8 days in Minnesota for training.
I love your pictures and stories, I still think you should do this for a living. We miss you and can't wait for you to come home.
What's the official end date "this time"?
We sent mom off and we made her Koenigsberger Kloepse and we got to eat on our new dining room set, pretty awesome! She was thrilled.
...Still so jealous of your adventures...love you both and be safe in your remaining travels.
Mein ehemaliger chef will bei ende dieses Jahr was im laufen haben, aber das werde ich glauben wenn ich es sehe. :) Diese situation koennte gut sein fuer mindestens ein Jahr, also habe ich Zeit .
Be safe!!!

Kiima said...

So nice to hear from you! I love getting family updates. That's what I miss most about not being home.

We've been meaning to post, but we're kinda busy job searching. I've applied to 4 so far. I've also spent some time looking into local dental clinics. I really need to get some work done, but am not thrilled with what I've been seeing.

Miss you,
-Kiima

lisa said...

Tell me you are talking about a dentist in the states.....otherwise, hmmmm. I don't know about that....Hope to see you in August sometime.

Cheers, Lisa

Kiima said...

Lisa,
Actually the dentists are suppose to be really good here. I finally found one I liked and was really pleased with the service. They use all the new tools. Heck, my American dentist doesn't even have them yet. But thankfully, I don't have any cavities.