After narrowly escaping death by gas explosion, having one last American meal with the Forshey-Stewarts, and shooting loads of photos in the departures terminal, we finally shoved off. We flew from Dulles to London to Frankfurt. In Heathrow, I faked my way through 30 seconds with Alice Cooper, desperately attempting to remember one of his songs (major awkward turtle).
Then we spent the week strolling down the cobblestone streets of Kiima's memory lane in Mannheim and Heidelberg. We're staying at Pension Arabella in Mannheim (Simple, great location B+).
On Monday, we met up with friend Dirk and Kiima's mom in Mannheim. We had a Döner dinner in "Little Ankara" and then some beers and good times listening to jazz at the Alte Feuerwache.
Tuesday, we took the train on over to Heidelberg. We checked out a few old churches, ate fries with mayo, did some people watching, and hiked up to the castle for great views of the city. That night we shared dinner at an "exclusive spanish restaurant" with friends from the Hülsemann clan (Ingrid, Robert, Marco, Melanie, and her boyfriend Christoph).
The next day we trained back to Heidleberg to hang with Stefi Wolff, a friend of Kiima's, before heading off to the watery paradise known as Miramar. We spent 4 glorious hours luxuriating in outside hottubs, riding innertubes slides (nearly losing our pants in the process), floundering in the wavepool, and giving the FKK world its first sight of our pink bums.
On Thursday, we gave Mannheim a good kick in the tourist pants. We explored more cool old churches, toured a castle, ate several forms of pretzel, walked around Luisenpark, and took in some political comedy (think Capitol Steps with sound effects).
All in all, Germany's no Honey Brook, but there are a few interesting offerings.
There's Beer
horse meat for sale
a place for unwanted packages
and graffiti that would make Strunk and White cry.
Then we spent the week strolling down the cobblestone streets of Kiima's memory lane in Mannheim and Heidelberg. We're staying at Pension Arabella in Mannheim (Simple, great location B+).
On Monday, we met up with friend Dirk and Kiima's mom in Mannheim. We had a Döner dinner in "Little Ankara" and then some beers and good times listening to jazz at the Alte Feuerwache.
Tuesday, we took the train on over to Heidelberg. We checked out a few old churches, ate fries with mayo, did some people watching, and hiked up to the castle for great views of the city. That night we shared dinner at an "exclusive spanish restaurant" with friends from the Hülsemann clan (Ingrid, Robert, Marco, Melanie, and her boyfriend Christoph).
The next day we trained back to Heidleberg to hang with Stefi Wolff, a friend of Kiima's, before heading off to the watery paradise known as Miramar. We spent 4 glorious hours luxuriating in outside hottubs, riding innertubes slides (nearly losing our pants in the process), floundering in the wavepool, and giving the FKK world its first sight of our pink bums.
On Thursday, we gave Mannheim a good kick in the tourist pants. We explored more cool old churches, toured a castle, ate several forms of pretzel, walked around Luisenpark, and took in some political comedy (think Capitol Steps with sound effects).
All in all, Germany's no Honey Brook, but there are a few interesting offerings.
There's Beer
horse meat for sale
a place for unwanted packages
and graffiti that would make Strunk and White cry.




14 comments:
Hi Kiima and Lee,
Happy Thanksgiving!!! Missed you. Did you get some turkey? Your trip is off to an awesome start. You are collecting great moments. Say hi to Kiima's mom and friend from all the Forsheys. Love the pictures! I'm jealous of swimming. Be safe.
Love,
Mom, Dad, Laura, Mark, Amber, Clay and Craig and everyone else.
Having read this post first, I was certain that "death by gas explosion" and "meal with the Forshey-Stewarts" were linked. Guess I was wrong.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! Thanks for the comment, we love getting them.
We had a great time with Mom the last couple days in Germany...tomorrow we head to Delhi. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.
We didn't have turkey, but we did have Thai on thanksgiving. Funny thing is, there was no parade that day. Do these people hate holidays or what?
You missed the most Forshey-laden Turkey Trot ever. Lucky for you, Amber sacrficed in your honor and held all of the coats, shirts and free granola instead of running. Enjoy the beer and turkey legs in Germanianland! By the way Kiima, your coat looks awesome.
Kiima and Lee!!
So good to hear you are off to a great start : )
Bet you dont' miss work in the least. LOL.
Love,
Melissa
Hey all, we've been to numerous internet sites recently and some show the slideshows in this post (...should be 2) and some don't. You may need to check your browser settings to see the cool Germany pictures we were trying to share.
Kiima and Lee,
I don't know what Brett meant by "death by gas explosion", however, another all time new, we have our tree and I started putting up Christmas decorations. Amber has her antlers on. Hope you are having a great time and that India is kind to you!
Love,
Mom, Dad, Neil, Craig, Clay, Amber, and all of the animals, small and great
Lee and Kiimaaaaa!!
I just wanted to let you know that your jenga skills were sorely missed this Thanksgiving...I hope you found some worthy opponents in Germany.
I would like to let you know, Lee, that the most incredible thing has happened: "Just Mom's" now has free delivery. I know, it's amazing.
Anyway, have fun in your travels!!
Love,
The Ultimate Supreme Uno, Jenga, Say What, Poker, and Mall Madness Champion
Picture issue should now be fixed. Enjoy!
Ciao Kiima und Lee,
wir haben uns sehr gefreut, dass wir Gelegenheit hatten uns zu sehen und hoffen, dass es Euch bei uns in Mannheim gefallen hat.
Habt ganz viel Spaß in der verrückten Welt da draußen.
Watch out for the light bulbs ;-)
Fühlt Euch gedrückt
Mel&Chris
Wow. You really saw Alice Cooper. Did it go something like this?
----------------------------------
Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.
Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.
---------------------------------
Missed you guys on Turkey Day.
Love, J&M
RE: Alice Cooper.
Lee: So, what've you been up to lately? (so lame, I know!)
AC: Well, we rocked Manchester last night and tomorrow we'll be two feet deep in snow in Moscow.
Amber, I'm sorry I couldn't be there to show off my jenga skillz. The good news is that, should I die horribly in a fiery plane crash, Melanie and I decided that you will inherit my ultra steady hands and keen block choosing talents.
As for Just Moms, I'm surprised to hear that, because I thought they closed. If they deliver ice cream, my first act back home in the HB would be to order a coke slush-float. So good.
Post a Comment